With travelling abroad being virtually impossible this year, you may be heading away for a UK staycation, sounds like a great idea until you think of the hours spent in the car with kids asking “are we there yet” every two minutes.
Here are some essentials to pack in the car…
- Notepad and pen (endless games)
- Colouring book and pencils
- A pack of cards
- Ipad – films, games, entertainment, what more could you ask for? (Remember a portable charger as well!)
- Snacks (lots of them – you don’t want the deafening shriek of “I’m hungry” nonstop)
- CD’s – who doesn’t love a bit of carpool karaoke?
Here are some ideas to keep you sane on that 6-hour drive…
- The classic I spy with my little eye…
- Noughts and crosses
- Sleeping lions (the best game ever for the parents)
- The alphabet game – Pick a theme and, starting with ‘a’, take it in turns to think of a word starting with the next letter of the alphabet.
- 20 questions – Pick your answer and give the rest of the people in the car only 20 questions to figure it out. Seems easy enough, until you get someone that picks something completely obscure.
- Guess the time – a bit of fun until you realise, you’re only 10 minutes in to a 6-hour journey!
- The memory game – you say “I’m going out on a picnic and I’m bringing…” follow that with whatever item that comes to mind. Then the next player has to remember that item and add something else to the story. Get a part of the story wrong and you’re out. This one keeps the trip fun and can last for a good long while, so long as you give the younger travellers some leniency with their turn in the game.
- Would you rather – Take turns in asking would you rather put your hand in a bowl of electric eels or dance naked while cockroaches are poured over your head? Neither option is particularly pleasing, but you’ve got to pick one. That’s the premise of the game, you have to choose between a rock and a hard place.